Bill Thomas; Principal Program Manager; Dell Technologies Global Transformation Program Office
• WHY: Your “why” is your purpose, your cause. When you understand your why; when you consider, perform and connect with others starting with your why, you’ll inspire others to do the same.
My why: As a jr techie, and a leader of an ever-changing “Flash-Mob” virtual team, I feed-off mentoring others, creating new services, and evangelizing the concept of the “cloud”. I get jazzed every day as I get to work with the best of the best; a high performing group of type A, opinionated alpha members who eat bullets for breakfast and have a grit in their guts.
• WHAT: An original stakeholder and practitioner of Dell EMC’s Transformation Program Office [TPO]. Through a top-down analysis, the TPO provides the thought leadership and facilitation to lead the client, Dell Technologies, and DT’s 7 companies through the effort to better understand the client’s required business outcomes. The process for this analysis is:
• Facilitated definition of desired business outcomes with customer
• Technology rationalization – applying technology to the required business outcomes
• Planning for success –Technology roadmap, PMO methods, CNPS Strategy
IDC’s comment about Dell’s TPO offering – “The combined entity is fully focused on digital transformation, and its consulting services are often leading the way on customer engagements. In fact, Dell EMC has created a Transformation Program Office to guide customers toward creating more outcome-based engagement models.”
• WHERE: Building Program Management Offices [PMO’s] at our largest ($100M/yr to $400M/yr in Annual Recognized Revenue) and most complex and strategic accounts in the US.
• ADVICE: PMO leaders have to speak to business leaders in their language; use a concise and non-technical style when working with sr level client executives. This is not for the faint of heart, Program Management is about hard work, challenging assignments, and there are no time-outs or blue ribbons for just showing up.